GB HOMEPAGE

The Game Maker, a Review by flotsam

Posted By: Draclvr

The Game Maker, a Review by flotsam - 01/10/23 03:23 AM

A new year, a new Carol Reed game. Quite literally.

There has been a fairly consistent annual release since I first stepped out with Carol in 2004’s Remedy.
She is still solving mysteries, still in and around Norkopping in Sweden, and given her longevity is
clearly making a good fist of the investigation caper.

There is murder afoot, and a missing person. Eager to make some money for her upcoming vacation,
Carol agrees to help Dalton Jonson investigate the recent disappearance of his wife, Daria.

Find out more in flotsam's review of

******** The Game Maker ********
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: The Game Maker, a Review by flotsam - 01/10/23 05:14 AM

Thanks flotsam (and Draclvr).

I think I'm going to wait to read the review until after I finish the game - whenever that might happen. Over 11 hours and I'm still somewhere in the beginning. sick
Posted By: meryl

Re: The Game Maker, a Review by flotsam - 01/10/23 07:36 AM

Trying to finish Adera and be really disiplined before i start The Game Maker. The icon is on the screen looking at me and I keep getting tempted. Likewise , musn't crumble and read Flotsam's review til I've played the game.
Posted By: Mad

Re: The Game Maker, a Review by flotsam - 01/10/23 08:03 AM

Thank you, flotsam. Another detailed review which is much appreciated 👍

(And thank you also, Draclvr.)
Posted By: Tally Ho

Re: The Game Maker, a Review by flotsam - 01/10/23 01:03 PM

Is it my imagination or is this game a Lot Bigger than the others? If it is, I now have a fresh New Years resolution: When I solve the next case in Norrköping, I will have pencil and paper ready, and take notes every time I see something that might be a clue, especially how to return and see it again. I am guilty of "winging it" - trusting my deteriorating memory. My biggest frustration is roaming around a large area, looking for the exit. How I would love a hotkey to jump directly to the map. But I'm blathering. Good story line; so I did enjoy this installment as much or more than any of her previous adventures.
Posted By: RebKean

Re: The Game Maker, a Review by flotsam - 01/10/23 03:08 PM

I felt it was bigger as well, but perhaps it always feels like that, can't be sure. I do agree on the pencil part as well lol, I always feel confident in my memory (not sure why) but that always fails.
I really enjoyed the game in the game. Very entertaining smile
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: The Game Maker, a Review by flotsam - 01/10/23 03:20 PM

Thanks so much for the great read, flotsam!

Thanks, Drac!

Ana
Posted By: Bristol

Re: The Game Maker, a Review by flotsam - 01/10/23 04:35 PM

Would you believe that, until I read Flotsam's review, I had completely forgotten that pressing the spacebar reveals clues? Aaargh! Good game and nice to see our old friends again. Thank you, Mikael.
Posted By: Marian

Re: The Game Maker, a Review by flotsam - 01/10/23 09:09 PM

Just started the game and am enjoying it immensely. Thank you for the review, flotsam!

I would not be the least bit surprised if this game was bigger than last year's offering, although I found Amos Green to be of a really good length.

(And thank you too, Drac). wave
Posted By: Mikael

Re: The Game Maker, a Review by flotsam - 01/11/23 01:19 AM

Thank you flotsam!

Yes, I think this game is slightly bigger than the last one.

Re: The Game Maker, a Review by flotsam - 01/11/23 03:51 AM

Finally, my stubborn pig-headed-ness paid off and I am moving forward! happydance
Posted By: connie

Re: The Game Maker, a Review by flotsam - 01/11/23 12:45 PM

Thanks flotsam and Drac.
Posted By: Leeana

Re: The Game Maker, a Review by flotsam - 01/12/23 12:19 PM

Thank you Mikael, Cudos - Bravo and grattis! another job well dome wave loved you expertise Shots of sweden the scenery is wonderful! and the story fit in so great!!!!! yes there were "Those" moments id get frustrated at the puzzles But bottom line I made it through ..... will you be sending carol to Movie theaters or zoos ...for your games ! eventually .... that would be different , oil/ water tanks ..... schools Banks would love to "Visit" one .... Thank You Looking forward to your next Game ,,,, Thank -you

Re: The Game Maker, a Review by flotsam - 01/20/23 01:56 AM

Finally!! Between being stuck several times and absorbing every detail in every location, I spent over 30 hours playing this game! I looked at the "objectives" 4 times and took 1 "hint". Kicked myself for the hint and for one of the objectives shocked.

Thank you Mikael for another wonderful Carol Reed game!

Re: The Game Maker, a Review by flotsam - 01/28/23 09:12 PM

I have started to play this game now and am enjoying it immensely.

I already know I'll get lost several times along the way because I always do !! lol

[Doesn't spoil my fun, though grin]

Re: The Game Maker, a Review by flotsam - 01/31/23 10:28 PM

Well, I AM still enjoying myself but so far I am definitely finding this one to be the most difficult of the Carol Reed games - and I have played them all whistle

So .. is it actually more difficult .. or is it ME losing my powers of deduction ?? eek

Re: The Game Maker, a Review by flotsam - 01/31/23 10:31 PM

I think it was a little more difficult Mad!

Re: The Game Maker, a Review by flotsam - 02/01/23 06:08 PM

Well I found the “game within a game” part very testing !! So maybe I’m just plain getting too old lol

Re: The Game Maker, a Review by flotsam - 02/01/23 07:01 PM

That part caused a good bit of frustration for me but I really enjoyed it though. Brought something different to the Carol Reed games while still keeping them the same, if that makes sense. thumbsup

Re: The Game Maker, a Review by flotsam - 02/01/23 07:12 PM

Yes. It does make sense, oldbroad. Still drove me mad, though 🤓
Posted By: Marian

Re: The Game Maker, a Review by flotsam - 02/01/23 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by oldbroad
That part caused a good bit of frustration for me but I really enjoyed it though. Brought something different to the Carol Reed games while still keeping them the same, if that makes sense. thumbsup

That is a good way to describe it, ob. And I thought it was very creative. wave
© 2024 GameBoomers Community