GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New Outlook #1325402
07/14/24 03:11 PM
07/14/24 03:11 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Okay, this may sound petty but since I changed the Windows Mail to the New Outlook, it keeps popping open all day long, even while I am playing a game. It is really driving me crazy! Is there a way to stop it from popping open?

Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325403
07/14/24 03:32 PM
07/14/24 03:32 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I don't use the New Outlook and am not familiar with it, but you probably need to change some thing(s) in Settings. Maybe take a look at that until someone comes along who knows more.

Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325404
07/14/24 03:50 PM
07/14/24 03:50 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I use the New Outlook mail organizer too. I've never had it pop open unless I opened it on purpose. Let me do some checking around and see if it's just a setting or something else. First off, make sure it is not set to load in your Startup programs.

EDIT: I found this in a quick search. I have to run to town, so see if anything here helps and I will do more checking when I get home.

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325407
07/14/24 05:37 PM
07/14/24 05:37 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I believe it is in my startup programs but even if I change that, it seems to me it will still just pop open whenever it feels like. If I disable it from start up, do I then just click the icon to open it when I want to? It wasn't a problem until I changed it to the New Outlook. I can change it back but I'm trying to get used to it. I do like that it shows the full email address of the sender just like my MSN Mail app does. The regular Outlook does not! I just don't know if I'll be able to use the MSN Mail app when I someday go to Windows 11. I had trouble getting it into Windows 10.

(Not sure what you found in your quick search.)

Edit: Actually, I don't see it listed as a startup app under settings. And under Notifications & actions, it is off. Do I need to disable Microsoft Edge from Startup? Is that where it comes from?

Last edited by oldbroad; 07/14/24 05:44 PM.
Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325422
07/15/24 12:08 AM
07/15/24 12:08 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I've gotten to really like it too. I have several email addresses that I monitor and it's nice to have them all in one place.

SO SORRY about not including that search result! I was flying on my way through here! Having company 24/7 for weeks is starting to take a toll!

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-on/644d1251-4523-40fe-98ea-f4480d8b9ef2

No, it isn't part of Edge and Edge is like Firefox... it only opens when you tell it to. If it WAS listed in Startup and you disabled it, it would still open when you clicked on the icon. But mine isn't listed in startup either.

I also found this in an AI search.

Windows Settings Method:
Open Settings (press Windows + I).
Navigate to Apps & features.
Find New Outlook in the list.
Click on it and select Advanced Options.
Turn off Background Apps.

Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325425
07/15/24 12:48 AM
07/15/24 12:48 AM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Thank you! I've turned off Background Apps. I'll see what happens tomorrow.

I also sent them "feedback" about this.

2nd Edit: Well, it just opened again after turning that off but hopefully after rebooting it will not keep happening. It is extremely annoying!!!

3rd Edit: Regarding Edge/Firefox, Edge is a Startup app though in my Task Manager; Firefox is not. Edge itself though, does not give me a problem.

Last edited by oldbroad; 07/15/24 01:13 AM.
Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325451
07/15/24 08:36 AM
07/15/24 08:36 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I'm so glad you sent the feedback! I'd forgotten that several weeks ago I was having issues with Fallout 4 and the new updates... crashes, startup not completing and a couple of other things. Sometimes when I was able to finally get out of the game, I found that New Outlook had opened. Didn't think much of it because it didn't interfere with the game - I would just find it open. Since they have pretty much resolved the issues, it hasn't happened again.

Odd... I do not have Edge in my Startup programs. It is integrated with the Windows operating system just like the old Internet Explorer was, so it's nothing you can get rid of.

Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325476
07/15/24 10:48 AM
07/15/24 10:48 AM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I am probably going to disable Edge from the Startup programs in my Task Manager as I'm pretty sure this New Outlook is going to continue to be a problem. It always opens when I boot up my system, which is not as annoying as it popping open all day is, but still, I don't like that. Somehow, I feel there may be a connection. I'll still wait through the day (or as long as I can stand it).

Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325487
07/15/24 11:54 AM
07/15/24 11:54 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I'm following this thread for tips grin because I keep getting pestered to use the "new" Outlook.

But I hate attempting to change this kind of stuff because it never usually goes as it should - for me, anyway.
[Being the incompetent techie that I am.]

And I like Outlook juat as it is !! yes

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325491
07/15/24 12:14 PM
07/15/24 12:14 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I would definitely disable Edge from startup. Just the fact that they are integrated into the OS makes it possible they are somehow connected. If Edge is set as your default browser, you do have to use it to get to the internet to use New Outlook. You can also check to see what's running in the background by clicking on the hidden icons on the lower right.

Mad, this is not the email client Outlook from Microsoft Office. On Windows 10, it is an app that was known simply as "Mail." It is not an email client or app, but an email aggregator. You can link as many email accounts to it as you like. I have several that I monitor and they are all listed. This "New Outlook" is simply a new version of the Mail app. I tried it out and I do like it. If you have never used the Mail app, you don't need to do anything. It has nothing to do with Outlook email - which I find unreasonably confusing. Unfortunately, Microsoft in its usual infinite wisdom has not provided a way to turn off this nag without getting into the registry.

Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325492
07/15/24 12:47 PM
07/15/24 12:47 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
There isn't anything running in the background that shouldn't be. So far today, besides at boot up, it has opened once. Actually, it usually just opens and stays minimized in the bar but - for some reason if I am playing a jigsaw game or a mosaic game, it will minimize my game and open the email. Very annoying and kept making me lose my focus and concentration when playing the mosaic game.

Mad, you should be able to switch it back if you don't like it. At least you could before. Do you have the purchased Microsoft Office (pay one time for the program)? I have that but I've heard (may be incorrect information) that is no longer offered and you have to pay a monthly subscription now. ? I will not like that if that is the case.

Re: New Outlook [Re: Draclvr] #1325494
07/15/24 12:52 PM
07/15/24 12:52 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Draclvr ….
And
Oldbroad ….

The pestering started some time ago.
I booted up, opened my Microsoft Outlook (the only one I personally know of and the one I have used since the Stone Age) and was confronted with a message that covered the whole screen and which said :
“To continue you must download the New Outlook” (or words to that effect).
And the only way I could get rid of the message was to turn off my machine (Win10) whistle

After which I immediately turned it on again, opened Outlook again, and all was back to normal !!

And the same thing has happened a couple more times since.

So I was interested in your thread, oldbroad ….

EDIT: Our posts crossed 😬

I’ve always had Microsoft Office and never heard anything about having to pay for it monthly !!
No way would I do that !!

Last edited by Mad; 07/15/24 01:00 PM.

Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325496
07/15/24 01:01 PM
07/15/24 01:01 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Hm, I don't know about that then. Is there a little switch in the upper right corner that says "try the new outlook"? That is what I had though I don't see it anymore in my actual Outlook program (part of my Microsoft Office). The switch does still show in the New Outlook (Windows Mail Outlook). My Microsoft Office Outlet still is normal Outlook even though I changed the Windows Mail Outlook to the New Outlook.

Too many Outlooks! Very confusing!

And again our posts crossed laugh

Last edited by oldbroad; 07/15/24 01:02 PM.
Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325507
07/15/24 03:13 PM
07/15/24 03:13 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
OK. We are talking about two different things here. I know it's confusing and I blame Microsoft for that. Outlook as a part of Microsoft Office has nothing to do with Outlook.com which is a web-based email app like Yahoo or Gmail. You won't have any toggles in your Microsoft Office Outlook because it is NOT the same thing as Outlook.com. And yes, the new Microsoft Office is called Office 365 and has a monthly fee. I have a lifetime Office 2019 and hopefully Microsoft will continue to support it for a long time!

Microsoft Office Outlook is known as an email "client," which means it is an actual program on your computer, not a web-based email account. It is possible to add a web-based email address to Microsoft Office Outlook. I have my 2 Gmail accounts connected there, although I don't use them very often as I use the Mail/New Outlook app for them.

Then throw in the third thing to REALLY make it confusing... New Outlook which is supposed to replace the Mail app. Again, it has nothing to do with Microsoft Office Outlook. It is an email aggregator APP - you can add as many different email accounts to it as you want. I have two Outlook.com accounts (a personal one and one for Mystery Manor). Again, that is web-based and nothing to do with Microsoft Office Outlook. I have two Gmail accounts (one for me and one for hubby). All four are listed on the left and I can click on the Inbox or Sent Items or whatever for each account. I do not use this app for my Microsoft Office Outlook email address although I could. My email account in my Microsoft Office Outlook is one provided by my ISP and that uses a different protcol - POP/IMAP - than the web-based email accounts too. It just takes a few more steps to add it.

Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325514
07/15/24 04:37 PM
07/15/24 04:37 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Yes, I was trying to bring that out, that there are different Outlooks which is why I was asking Mad if she used the Microsoft Office paid one time license such as your 2019 and mine is also 2019. I'm pretty sure that one did have the option to "try New Outlook" also but does not anymore. I rarely ever use that other Outlook (the web based one that you can access through Edge because I don't use Edge) so that is why I'm pretty certain the option was in my Microsoft Office at one time (though I could, of course, be mis-remembering). However, that web based one accessed through Edge is EXACTLY the same as the New Outlook is except it does NOT have the switch up in the right corner.. My email address is the same for all 3 Outlooks and my MSN mail program.

Addition: The really dumb thing is that you can add different email addresses to ALL of them and in Microsoft Office you have the "Microsoft Exchange" but I don't think any of the 4 of mine work together with showing the additional email addresses anyway.

Confused yet???

Last edited by oldbroad; 07/15/24 04:45 PM.
Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325517
07/15/24 08:22 PM
07/15/24 08:22 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
OK. You are both so much more knowledgable than I am !! redface

I can only repeat that I use only ONE Outlook programme - and that is the one that’s part of Microsoft Office.

I probably had to “buy” Office for every new computer built for me. I don’t actually know.
(They have all been custom built.)
But, as yet, those will have been the ONLY times of my possibly having had to pay for it.

A future commitment of having to pay a monthly fee to use Office would require a LOT of hard thought on my part - and a full consultation with my I.T. Son in Law.

On the other hand, the thought of having to get to grips with a new and different alternative programme as comprehensive as Office fills me with panic !! 😱

Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325520
07/15/24 08:41 PM
07/15/24 08:41 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Yeah, I don't know what I'd do without my Excel sheets but I also hope to not have to pay a monthly fee. I am hoping that I can activate my Office 2019 license on my Windows 11 (when I get that some day). My brother (not the one who lives with me and does not use a computer) told me that when he was forced to get a new computer with Windows 11 that he could NOT activate his Office license. I don't know if that is right or not or if he just somehow didn't know how to do it. I believe though, that he had the Geek Squad helping him. Again, I am not sure about this because we haven't spoke to each other in years; we just email now and then. I also use Word quite a bit and Power Point now and then.

New Outlook has opened up about 8 times today so I am definitely going to disable Edge from Startup in my Task Manager and see what happens tomorrow.

Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325521
07/15/24 09:17 PM
07/15/24 09:17 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
LOL! Yes, to being confused! The "other" Outlook can be accessed with any browser including Firefox and Chrome - it's just a web-based email like Gmail.

I never got anything about trying "New Outlook" in my Microsoft Office Outlook... I only got it when I opened the Mail app.

I am down to only 4 email addresses that I monitor now. I used to have about 10 of them when I was the Webmaster for our American Legion website! I HAPPILY gave that up about a year ago after doing it for 11 years. We just never had anyone else who had the tech skills, but now we do. She is now my favorite person on the planet!

Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325523
07/15/24 10:18 PM
07/15/24 10:18 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
With Edge though, Outlook shows up on the side (at least on mine). I don't have to go to Outlook.com.

Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325524
07/15/24 10:42 PM
07/15/24 10:42 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Ah, you have the Edge Sidebar enabled then. I don't like it, so I have mine disabled. If you are using the sidebar, you might notice in the Settings for Edge, if you go to Sidebar, it has a toggle switch for notifications for sidebar applications you can turn on and off. I wonder if that was your problem?

Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325525
07/15/24 11:23 PM
07/15/24 11:23 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I don't use Edge so whatever is on the side was automatically there. I do not see a toggle switch for notifications for sidebar applications though. I did disable Edge from Startup.

Edit: I found the switch and turned it off. I wasn't really getting "notifications" though. It just opens up for no reason, no new emails or anything. I'll see what happens tomorrow. Opening up while I'm gaming is just not acceptable.

Last edited by oldbroad; 07/15/24 11:40 PM.
Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325549
07/16/24 09:03 AM
07/16/24 09:03 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Even if you don't use Edge, that sure sounds like the Edge sidebar. Unless you have some other program which has a sidebar...

Hope it works. That would drive me nuts while I was gaming.

Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325563
07/16/24 11:44 AM
07/16/24 11:44 AM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I'm at the end of my rope! It is still popping open! I don't know what else to do and can only hope that the August Windows update will make this stop.

Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325570
07/16/24 01:38 PM
07/16/24 01:38 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
This has got to be SO frustrating for you. What if you uninstall the Mail app completely? I have that option on my Windows 10. Go to Settings, Apps, Mail... click to open and select uninstall.

Re: New Outlook [Re: oldbroad] #1325573
07/16/24 02:43 PM
07/16/24 02:43 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I considered doing that but am trying to get used to it as I may need it at some point. I would change it back to the old Mail before uninstalling it to see if that helps, but for now, I'm going to try to be patient. Usually , these things tend to work themselves out at some point.

Edit: I found yet another setting where I turned off "notifications". I was looking under "tips" and found it. Maybe this one will work!

Last edited by oldbroad; 07/16/24 03:19 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (oldbroad), 58 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
melan, deniu, sincmic1, boxbluestudios, Watcheroftheskys
9394 Registered Users